Saint Luke’s, an Episcopal congregation in Jackson, Tennessee, seeks a part-time Organist/Choirmaster. The Organist/Choirmaster serves at the pleasure of the Rector/Priest-in-Charge. The candidate for this position should demonstrate an ability to have a good working relationship with the Rector/Priest-in-Charge, have experience in choral directing and organ performance and an understanding of the Anglican tradition. Saint Luke’s organ was installed in 1969 by the Wicks Organ Company and completely renovated in 2006 by R. G. Capra Organs.
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience with choral directing and development of choral sound and musicianship
• Experience in organ performance
• Experience working in the Anglican musical tradition is preferred
• Communication skills and ability to work and interact well with the Rector/Priest-in-Charge, staff, parishioners and volunteers
• Organizational and leadership skills
• Attention to detail
• Provide organ, choral or other music at all principle services of the church, including but not limited to:
o Sunday Morning Services
o Services of Christmas and Epiphany
o Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and The Great Vigil of Easter
o Weddings and Funerals
o Any other major events, such as Ordinations or Celebrations
• Select all organ, choral, service music and hymns for all services in consultation with the Rector/Priest-in-Charge. Details are provided to the church office for preparation of service bulletins according to existing schedule for submission. Proofread drafts of these for accuracy.
• Coordinate the overall music schedule within the liturgical year in consultation with the Rector/Priest-in-Charge.
• Prepare an annual budget for submission to the Vestry to reflect the overall music program. Identify all items of expenditure including printed music and supplies, musical instrument maintenance, vestments, training, substitute organist, staff vocalist and guest musician expenses.
• Arrange for maintenance and tuning of all musical instruments, especially the organ, to be in a state of readiness for all regular services, rehearsals, special services and other performances.
• With the help of choir volunteer and limited secretarial support, the Organist/Choirmaster:
o Manages and oversees the music library
o Chooses and purchases music within approved budgetary parameters
o Communicates information within the choir and the parish
The Organist/Choirmaster is an independent contractor of the parish but is expected to:
• Meet with the Rector/Priest-in-Charge
• Fulfill all necessary Diocesan required training (as identified)
• Write articles for The Parish Life and Annual Report as requested
• Prepare publicity releases and advertising for concerts, recitals and performances as needed
Compensation commensurate with experience, beginning at $17,500.00 without benefits.
For questions or inquiries, please direct communications to:
Mrs. Pat Craig, Chairman
Organist/Choirmaster Search Committee
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
309 East Baltimore Street
Jackson, Tennessee 38301
stlukes [at] estlukes [dot] org