The original church building was enlarged and remodeled in 1883. The nave was extended, a vestibule and the bell tower were added, a new floor was laid and the church was furnished in black walnut, including the pews.
The first communion vessels were made in the 1880s from “love gifts” of silver and other valuables from members of the congregation. Personal treasures such as baby cups, tablespoons, cuff links, jewels and other heirlooms were donated. The gold and silver were melted down and made into the communion vessels, with the donated jewels as adornments. The communion vessels are still in use today.
The present reredos (the three-paneled screen above the altar) was acquired in 1885. Made of quartered oak, the carved screen encloses a triptych of paintings representing the resurrection of Christ. The Rev. Dr. Johannes A. Oertel, an Episcopal Priest and professor of art at both The University of the South and Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, an artist of fine repute, created the paintings. The woodcarving was done by the artist’s son. The reredos paintings were restored in 1941 by Pearl Sanders, a local artist, again in 1957, by Russian artist Sergei Bomgart, a friend and teacher of Mrs. Aileen Spence, a Saint Luke’s parishioner, in 1981 by Mr. Scandor Bodo of Nashville, Tennessee, who revealed details of the paintings that had not been seen in many years, and most recently, in 2003, as a result of the May 4 tornado. Though Oertel created religious art and carved pieces for Episcopal churches throughout the southeast, Saint Luke's reredos is thought to be the largest he made.
St. Thomas Episcopal Church was built at the corner of Hale and Cumberland Streets, for black Episcopalians in Jackson. The church was organized by the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Martin, rector of Saint Luke’s from 1892-1900. It became a diocesan mission. Finally, in 1962, Saint Luke’s welcomed the return of African-American worshipers to its services, under the spiritual leadership of the Rev. Dr. Frank N. Butler. St. Thomas' building was deconsecrated in December, 1969, and the congregation merged with Saint Luke's.
The choir was organized during Dr. Martin’s tenure. The Altar Guild gave the brass lectern in his memory, from which the lessons are still read at services.
Saint Luke’s had nine different rectors from 1900-1930. The Women’s Auxiliary and the Altar Guild were organized around 1900 and the brass processional cross was given by 25 parishioners, around 1904.