In 1930, the Rev. Dr. William J. Loaring-Clark became rector of Saint Luke’s. Under his guidance, a financially faltering parish made great strides, both materially and spiritually. Extensive improvements were made to church property, including building a new parish house.

Dr. Loaring-Clark’s wife, Ada, was prominent in national church affairs as well as those of Saint Luke’s and the community. She was the first woman to serve on the National Council of the Episcopal Church and she organized the United Church Women in Jackson. In 1932 she also formed Saint Luke’s Order of the Daughters of the King. She was national president of that order at the time of her death in 1936.

The Rev. Dr. Frank N. (Woody) Butler became Rector of Saint Luke’s in 1954. He and his family occupied a new rectory at 19 Mimosa Drive, which was bought for their use. In 1962 after St. Thomas Episcopal Church was closed, Saint Luke’s, under Dr. Butler's leadership, welcomed the return of African-American worshipers to its services.

The Rev. Frank S. Cerveny was installed as Rector of Saint Luke’s in October of 1963, from the staff of Trinity Church Wall Street in New York City. He remained at Saint Luke’s until 1969. During his tenure, he provided the parish with spiritual enrichment and motivation for new programs, such as planning for the establishment of the Episcopal Day School in Jackson. Father Cerveny served as bishop of the Diocese of Florida from 1975-1992.

Next >