What is Vestry?
The Vestry, the governing body of the parish, shares the leadership of the parish with the rector, who are nominated and elected by the congregation. They meet to oversee the temporal affairs of the parish, as well as to support the rector and staff in promoting the spiritual welfare of the parish and are accountable for the fiscal responsibility of St. Luke's Episcopal Church.
Each year at our Annual Meeting the congregation elects new members for three-year terms. Once in place, the Vestry annually selects a Senior and Junior Warden, Treasurer and Clerk as Vestry leaders.
Expectations of the Vestry of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
- Regular attendance at church services, participation in major parish events, including Confirmations, Bishop's visits, and the Annual Meeting to ensure visibility and to reinforce the event's importance in the life of our parish. Provide accessibility
- Attend Sunday school whenever possible
- Maintain Pledge in good standing
- Serve as liaison to Vestry for one committee
- Be a good listener to all parishioners and encourage them to bring their concerns to the Rector.
- Wear a nametag to lead by example and make visitors welcome
- Speak of Vestry decisions with one voice to support our ministries
- Respect opinions that differ from our own to encourage honest expression
- Silence cell phones during meetings and services. Do not check cell phones unless on emergency call
- Harbor no resentment when others seem not to appreciate our commitment
- Protect our trust in one another by holding all confidences. Keep the specifics of our deliberations and votes confidential in order to promote and protect the free discussion of issues
- When asked, be willing to serve as a Vestry greeter standing with the Rector at the back of the church and greet people as they leave following the service.
- Overall - be a good example to the congregation
These expectations are to be shared with all individuals who are potential nominees for the Vestry before they give their consent for nomination.
Jerry Smith, Class of 2022